QUEENSLAND Police are considering camera technology capable of photographing drivers using their mobile phones behind the wheel to combat road crashes in the state.
Assistant commissioner Mike Keating said he was aware of the world first red-light-style camera, which has just been trialled in Victoria, and would consider taking it to the state government if it proved effective.
“We will monitor that trial and see how it looks in terms of effectiveness and if we see some benefit in it, then certainly we’ll take it to the government in the future.”
It comes as police have issued a desperate plea to Queenslanders to follow road rules as they prepare to launch their Christmas Road Safety Campaign tomorrow.
Commissioner Ian Stewart declared all he wanted for Christmas was for motorists to exercise caution on the roads, after 40 people died during last year’s campaign and over 2000 were injured.
“I’m making an appeal to every person who uses our roads, I would like you to give your emergency services, police, fireys, ambos a Christmas present,” Commissioner Stewart said.
“That Christmas present is that we do not have to go out and deal with the trauma of one more road fatality or one more road crash this year.
“Not only would it be a present to your emergency services, but a present to every family member who has been affected by road trauma in the state.”
A total of 226 people have lost their lives on Queensland roads so far this year.
One in five of those involved a speeding driver, while one in four involved a driver under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
The 50 day Christmas Road Safety Campaign will be conducted over four phases, starting tomorrow and finishing on January 25.
Double demerits will be issued for a number of crimes including high speed and repeated mobile offences, but aren’t implemented as part of the campaign.
Nearly 8000 drug tests were conducted during last years Campaign, with 506,000 RBTs.